Friday, July 25, 2014

Forgotten Photo Friday, Caspian Terns

Last April I took a trip to the Sonny Bono Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge. Out on Obsidian Point, I bumped into some old friends from the West. The Caspian Tern is the world’s largest tern. This is the first time that I’ve seen them with fish. As if the tern isn’t big enough, look at the size of that fish!
©2014 Steve Borichevsky
©2014 Steve Borichevsky
©2014 Steve Borichevsky
©2014 Steve Borichevsky
The tip of the day is how to deal with the bright overcast conditions. The humidity was high and shooting a white bird against a bright gray sky is challenging. If I let the camera work out the exposure, it would have come out all gray. So when you shoot white on white, increase the exposure. Here I set the exposure compensation to +2EV. In the “darkroom” I added another 0.5EV.
In the “darkroom”, I dropped the image down by 2EV. This represents what the camera would have given me.
©2014 Steve Borichevsky
This is what came straight out of the camera, with the exposure compensation set to +2 EV. Adding 2 stops of shutter speed will lengthen the exposure, so if you do this, mind your shutter speed. At ISO250, I was shooting 1/1250sec with f/5.6. Plenty of speed.
©2014 Steve Borichevsky
In the “darkroom” I bumped it up another 1/2EV. This is a matter of taste. The bill color on these birds were dark orange. They can be a deeper red. I decided not to tweak.
©2014 Steve Borichevsky

3 comments:

Margaret Adamson said...

Hi Steve These are wonderful flight shots of the tern especially with the fish in its mouth. thanks for explanation regarding shooting. Have a great weekend.

Susan (ABON) said...

Great job of shooting white on white. Beautiful bird, and what a catch!

Roy Norris said...

Really nice shooting Steve and a great bird.

Related Posts with Thumbnails