Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Breeding Blue-winged Warbler

There seems to be plenty of Blue-winged Warblers above the the Ipswich River. I must have located at least five pairs, two by sight and three by ear. It had been such a long time since I had seen a Blue-winged Warbler that I though it was a life bird! When I took a look at my dusty old list, I saw that it was checked off. My thought is that I probably saw it back in mid ‘80s when I was visiting my in-laws in Princeton, Massachusetts. I recall hearing the very distinctive call that sounds like a raspberry*.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Be sure to visit Wild Bird Wednesday this week.

*see http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/raspberry, defn 2.

8 comments:

Frank said...

Catching good sized bugs.

Interesting call Steve .. I'm sure I would recognize it IF I ever heard it.

Margaret Adamson said...

HI Steve These are great shots of this bird.

Gunilla Bäck said...

Fabulous shots of this pretty bird!

June Caedmon said...

Big bug for such a little bird! Was he heading back to a nest? Wonderful shots!

Steve Borichevsky said...

Thanks for the comments. Yes, this one was scolding me for being near a nest. I quickly got my shots and let them get back to work.

Steve Borichevsky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gunsside said...

Very Nice little bird
Great shots

bailey-road.com said...

Gorgeous shots.

Related Posts with Thumbnails