Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Red-tailed Hawk at Covington Park

I have so much material from California that I need to post. I’ve been sitting on these since mid April. In Morongo Valley, California is Covington Park which is located right by Big Morongo Canyon Preserve. A pair of Red-tailed Hawks were on the nest. Here one of them is looking down at me. 

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

One of the chicks popped his head out.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

During my walk down a canyon I saw one of the adults coming by with a lizard. An America Kestrel was harassing the Red-tailed Hawk that was just trying to get back to the nest.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Thumbs up for the Kestrel for standing its ground.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

When I has heading back to the car, about two hours later, I saw one of the adults coming in with another snake. (I had see one three hours earlier coming in with a snake.) I could see the adult butchering the snake. I didn’t have time to set up the tripod, so I shot freehand.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Oh, yeah! Rattler, it’s what’s for dinner!

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Be sure to visit Wild Bird Wednesday this week!

4 comments:

Roy Norris said...

A great set of the Hawk Steve and it was good you were in a position to get the chick. Tangling with a Rattler, rather him than me.

Frank said...

Good views from the nest site.

brujolito said...

Glad to see the Kestrel getting its licks when the opportunity arose

Chris Rohrer said...

Nice observations on this bird. I always love when the kestrel goes after the bigger birds. It's in a way comical although I don't think the bigger birds think so:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails