Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Costa’s Hummingbird

I have a label “Cock-of-the-Rock”, a name which I borrowed from the flamboyant bird of the Andes Mountains.  I met one in an aviary in the San Diego Zoo some thirty years ago. I was so impressed with his boisterous personality that he certainly left an indelible impression on me. So every once in a while I will be reminded of this bird while editing a photo. These birds are certainly impressive in their own ways. In such cases, I label them as Cocks-of-the-Rock.

In the Palm Springs desert, this Costa’s Hummingbird has earned a posting with the coveted label.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Be sure to visit Wild Bird Wednesday this week.

9 comments:

Frank said...

Certainly a STAR species.

Super feather detail in those shots Steve.

Dave said...

What a stunning species of bird, and quite rightly gets the label as cock of the rock!

Lovely post Steve

Margaret Adamson said...

Magnificent shots.

eileeninmd said...

Wow, what a beautiful hummer. The colors are stunning.. Great shots, Steve!

Chris Rohrer said...

Very nice detail on the plumage. Costa's have lots of personality:)

Carletta said...

Wow,wow, wow - excellent captures of this beauty!

HOOTIN ANNI said...

Okay...being honest here. I am so jealous I could spit nails!! What beautiful captures. Beautiful bird...I wanna see one here where I LIVE. lol

Oh, and enjoyed viewing your butterfly images in the post above.

Karen said...

What a little gem! Beautiful photography!

janiceadcock said...

Pretty bird, great shots!

Related Posts with Thumbnails