Saturday, May 17, 2014

Costa’s Hummingbird on a nest

My mother-in-law. I love her to pieces, but I cannot believe that we were in Palm Springs, California for three hours before she told me that there was a Costa’s Hummingbird on a nest in her back yard! It was in a lower branch of a large ficus tree.

And what a lovely creature she is. I waited until a couple of days before I started taking pictures. I wanted to make sure that she would tolerate me during a brief visit to the nest. Then I made brief visits with my gear. She was very calm and did not care about my intrusions, however I kept my visits short.

Here she is. What a lovely lady.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

She let me watch her bring in spiders’ webs.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Here she is working it into the nest.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Here she is with a piece of plant fiber.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

She was fully comfortable with me at my distance.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Last day, saying good by.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Speaking of last days, Delta screwed up our flight into Palm Springs, so we had to spend a night in Salt Lake City. I guess that they figures since we got cheated out of a night in Palm Springs, that they would make it up to us and bugger up our flight out of Palm Springs where had to spend an extra unplanned night. On the next day, I had some time to kill. I had my eyes on a spot where a female Costa’s would go into a different ficus in the back yard. I decided to explore when I saw her leave. I found a second nest!

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Now on my in-laws’ postage stamp yard there was a Black Phoebe nest, a Virden nest and two Costa’s Hummingbird nests! What a great location!

Did you see my post of the Male Costa’s the other day?

5 comments:

Carol Mattingly said...

You lucky guy. Fantastic post.

Steve Borichevsky said...

Thanks, Carol. Yes, lucky in deed. The timing was perfect.

bunnits said...

Wonderful photos of amazing little birds

Frank said...

Super shots Steve.

Mother-in-Law suppressing the local bird news .. tut tut! I trust you put her right for the future.

Ida said...

Wow how cool and what a special treat for you and for us to see this amazing bird and it's nest.

Related Posts with Thumbnails