Saturday, April 5, 2014

Still struggling with the weather

I’m still struggling with my dearth of fresh material due to last week’s inclement weather. I picked up a 1.4X teleconverter for  the 300 f/4. It arrived yesterday and I couldn’t wait to give it a go. My expectations are that it will give me a little reach for a modest price. Nikons 1.8X and 2.0X do not work well with the 300 f/4 lens. This makes the 300mm a 420mm and on a cropped sensor, it gives a little more effective focal length. But I’m starting to major in the minors now.

But that’s not what I was going to talk about. Since the first osprey arrived, it seemed there was only one this year. Migration is always risky and I have no idea our birds travel. The longer the route, the higher the risk. So I was a little concerned when I didn’t see two.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Fortunately, Wednesday morning I woke up to find two on the platform. Yesterday, with my telecoverter, I got this image. It’s not award winning, but I’m lucky to have gotten the shot. One of the Osprey did a fly-buy and I didn’t have the camera set up properly for fast moving hawk. The D7100 has a 1.3X sensor crop, which was used here. I had increased the exposure compensation by 2/3 a stop and ISO 250 the exposure was 1/250 of a second. Had I know what I was in for, I would have set the camera up for 2 stops for the poor lighting, bumped up the ISO a tad and put the focus mode into continuous. But it is what it is and I felt lucky that I did as well as I could with the 15 seconds’ time that I had to think with.

I don’t expect the teleconverter to bring me into a state of total bliss. It is a tool. Kid of like a cheater bar on a tire iron, it give me some leverage. I’m hoping that in times like this, I’ll be cropping down less. As for reaching further for that Chestnut-sided Warbler at 100 yards. No. I’m thinking that for those times when I’m close enough to get a shot, it will help me fill the frame a little more.

Experience will tell me as I learn. I’ve always had to push the envelop with my gear. It’s strengths and weaknesses will reveal themselves in time. I just need some good light.

1 comment:

Margaret Adamson said...

Hi Phil Glad you are pleased with your new lens and that you got to use it. great flight shot. Have a great weekend

Related Posts with Thumbnails