Sunday, April 27, 2014

Phainopepla-palooza

Have you ever had a species that you struggled with and then all of the sudden, it becomes easier? Such was the case with the Phainopepla. I struggled to get close to these birds last December. This trip I found a area where they were used to people and I could work with them. They are really a striking bird in the sun. First up is a male that was defending his nest site. I was taken by the red eye looking through the bush.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

The female is brown

©2014 Steve Borichevsky©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

When the sun hits the feathers on the male, they have a green shimmer.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

4 comments:

Marilyn Kircus said...

Thanks for that post. That's a seldom-seen bird for me also but it brought back memories of the time I was in the Davis Mountains for the Christmas count. I had a beautiful male sitting high on a bush in the early morning sun.

Steve Borichevsky said...

Great memory, Marilyn!

Frank said...

Definitely a NEW species for me.

Roy Norris said...

Thats a strange bird Steve. Nice shooting though.

Related Posts with Thumbnails