Friday, April 25, 2014

Our Lord’s Candle

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

As I mentioned yesterday, I have not been around much recently. We took a trip out to Palm Springs, California again.

We returned late Wednesday night. I have lots of photos to share, however I have some editing to do first.

Today I’m starting with a cool yucca that I found that was developing its inflorescence. This is one of the most spectacular sights as the stalk grows a good 15 to 20 feet tall.

These yucca take about 5 plus years to come to maturity and when they reach this stage, the will develop their fruit and die.

These yucca are pollinated by the California yucca moth during the nighttime.

Two common names for this plant are Our Lord’s Candle (for the flame-shaped inflorescence) and Spanish sword (because they have very sharp, pointed leaves that will draw blood if you get poked by them, as I have done a couple of time hiking).

Visit Today's Flowers for more flowery photos.

4 comments:

Margaret Adamson said...

Hi Steve. Great shot and info.

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, yes...I see these on Highway 74 and down on 371 to Anza. Not as many this year as in previous years, however...
Cheers~
Cheryl Ann

Gunilla Bäck said...

Beautiful. A very interesting plant.

Laura said...

Beautiful flower Steve!

Related Posts with Thumbnails