Saturday, April 26, 2014

Nuttall’s Woodpecker and California Thrasher

On our first morning on the west coast, I awoke fairly early and took the 20 mile drive north to one of my favorite places in the area,  Big Morongo Canyon Preserve. I arrived on the scene at 6:15 AM only to learn that the gates do not open until 7:30! No big deal. There is a park adjacent to the preserve that I like to walk around. I always see good birds there.

I could hear a woodpecker drumming and followed the noise. I found this Nuttall’s. The sun was barely coming up, so I had to set the ISO fairly high. I used to fear high ISOs. In the film days I would shoot ISO 64. The D7100 does a good job with the images. This was shot at 1/250th sec at ISO1250, f/5.6.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Behind me I heard a rustling in the brush. It was a California Thrasher picking up nesting material. A tough shot with the with the bird in the shadows, however with the high ISO I was relatively successful.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

A few minutes later, the sun came over the ridge and I was able to return my ISO back to 250. The first morning light hits my little buddy here.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Visit Camera Critters for more photos from the animal kingdom.

6 comments:

Naquillity said...

hopefully you were able to make it back to your original destination and get more great shots. these birds are beautiful. hope all is well. have a great day~

Margaret Adamson said...

HI Steve that little Woodpecker is so cute.

Ida said...

Darling little woodpecker. The Thrasher appears to be gathering items for a nest. Neat shots.

Ida said...

Me again. Loved your blog, became a follower. Would you consider adding a Follow By E-Mail button for updates?

eileeninmd said...

Great birds and sightings, Steve! Great shots!

Roy Norris said...

A lovely little Woodpecker Steve.

Related Posts with Thumbnails