Sunday, April 6, 2014

Long shots of Great Cormorants

Okay, I decided that it is time to stop using the weather as an excuse for not getting some work done. I headed up to York, Maine yesterday and found some Great Cormorants. I was packing my D7100 with the 300mm + 1.4X teleconverter. I’m quite happy with the results. Here is a full frame image  of the three Great Cormorants. My D7100 was in set to 1.3X, which crops down the sensor.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

This is the weaker of the two images.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

How did the teleconverter do? Below is the same image as above but severely cropped. Oh, there are four Cormorants, not three! The lighting on this was full sun shining on the back of the birds. To make it even funkier, it was between 12:00 and 1:00 PM! (Yah, my D7100 rocks.)

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Later in the photoshoot, one of the took flight. Here are three shots. As with yesterday, my focusing mode was on Automatic. If I’m planning these shots, I would have it on continuous. (Right, like I plan anything in this blog.)

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Cropping this photo down more than anyone would should we see some pretty good detail. I shot this at ISO250 f/6.3 at 1/4000sec. In the darkroom, I gave it 3/4 stop more exposure. I could tweak on it more, but it’s not that strong of an image. As I stated yesterday, I’m learning what the limitations of the telecoverter are.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

I’m happy so far. Oh, I shot all of these photos without a tripod.

4 comments:

Carol Mattingly said...

If the average person knew how difficult it is to take a photo of a black bird in flight and get the detail you have, they would know that it is not easily done. Great shot.

Steve Borichevsky said...

Thanks, Carol.

Frank said...

Nice shooting Steve. Good to see you getting some practice with the extender.

I'm sharing some similar views today .. albiet my subjects were a little closer!

The Furry Gnome said...

Great shots!

Related Posts with Thumbnails