Okay, I decided that it is time to stop using the weather as an excuse for not getting some work done. I headed up to York, Maine yesterday and found some Great Cormorants. I was packing my D7100 with the 300mm + 1.4X teleconverter. I’m quite happy with the results. Here is a full frame image of the three Great Cormorants. My D7100 was in set to 1.3X, which crops down the sensor.
This is the weaker of the two images.
How did the teleconverter do? Below is the same image as above but severely cropped. Oh, there are four Cormorants, not three! The lighting on this was full sun shining on the back of the birds. To make it even funkier, it was between 12:00 and 1:00 PM! (Yah, my D7100 rocks.)
Later in the photoshoot, one of the took flight. Here are three shots. As with yesterday, my focusing mode was on Automatic. If I’m planning these shots, I would have it on continuous. (Right, like I plan anything in this blog.)
Cropping this photo down more than anyone would should we see some pretty good detail. I shot this at ISO250 f/6.3 at 1/4000sec. In the darkroom, I gave it 3/4 stop more exposure. I could tweak on it more, but it’s not that strong of an image. As I stated yesterday, I’m learning what the limitations of the telecoverter are.
I’m happy so far. Oh, I shot all of these photos without a tripod.