Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Cooper’s Hawk

When you go to a city like Palm Springs, California, you do not expect to have a Cooper’s Hawk for a yard bird. My mother-in-law pointed out this Coops to me early one morning. I had to jack up the ISO to 1600 to get the shutter speed up to 1/200 sec. I could not determine what was for breakfast. It was on the large size, so I’m thinking it is a Rock Dove.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

If you are coming in from Wild Bird Wednesday, be sure to go check out my recent posts and come back later this week. I’m going to have some great birds from out west!

5 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

Steve, we live in Palm Desert, near College of the Desert, and we have a pair of Cooper's hawks in our neighborhood. I've seen both of them once. I usually just see one. Yes, indeed, they LOVE doves. I frequently find dove feather scattered about after they've made a kill, which seems to be every 2-3-4 days.
Cheryl Ann

Dave said...

Good result Steve, great couple of images, ISO noise not noticeable with the shade.

retriever said...

Great shots, gorgeous birds photografy.
Greeting from Belgium

♥♥♥V♥ (¯`:´¯)░~~♥☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
░░(¯ `•.\|/.•´¯)░)(░░░)
(░(¯ `•.(█).•´¯)░♥♥(¯`:´¯)░)
(░░(_.•´/|\`•._)(¯ `•.\|/.•´)░)
░░░(_.:._).(░(¯ `•.(█).•´¯)░)
~~~~♥♥♥__.....(░(_.•´/|\`•._))~~♥
♥♥♥♥♥♥~~.............(░(_.:._)░)♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Frank said...

Now that is a 'big' breakfast. Good capture Steve in such poor light.

Ida said...

Nice shots of the Coopers hawk. We had one that hung around our bird feeder for several months but sadly we found it dead around the block from our house so we brought it home and buried it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails