Thursday, March 20, 2014

The funkiest shorebird

I have to thank Becky for finding this one for me. I was driving home from Littleton, Massachusetts and got a text message. I needed gas so I pulled in to top off the tank and checked the message. It was pretty cryptic, something about finding a half dead bird with a long bill under the bush. When I got home, she gave me more descriptive details. It sounded like a American Woodcock to me. We do have them here in the yard. I’ve flushed up one last year and in the summer and we can hear the boys out there doing their mating calls during the summer.

I went out and found it strutting about. My luck with Woodcock has always been that I would have a flurry of brown feathers with a long beak suddenly flush out from my feet and that would be the end of it. This one didn’t quite know what to do. He froze. Then did the funky strut.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Here he is keeping an eye on me.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

He’s just too cool.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

After a bit, it strutted to the wood line and then feeling the security of being amongst brown leaves I let it be.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Yah, little buddy, you are welcome to hang out as long as you want.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

4 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

Awesome pictures of a woodcock! I usually just hear them in the distance. I've never seen such a close-up.

Carol Mattingly said...

I have so enjoyed your images these past few weeks. Hopefully I can post this week. Been busy with work. Seriously though, you are one of the highlights of each day. Thanks Steve.

Margaret Adamson said...

Hi Steve. What a treat for you and me to see this woodcock. Fantastic shots.

Jay Albert said...

I've never saw one before! I'm now educated with your awesome pics!

Related Posts with Thumbnails