Saturday, February 1, 2014

Saturday Evening Creature Feature, Coy-dogs

The Coyotes were having a sing-along near the house Tuesday night. I’m guesstimating that they were about a tenth of a mile away but still they were loud enough to pull me out of a deep sleep dream and sit me up in bed. Yah, it was 11:56 PM. They were howling and yipping. If you have never heard a coyote, I mean have one howl right outside your window as I did one early morning in Colorado, you just do not understand how loud they really are. When we were kids, we called them “coy-dogs”.

I saw this one trotting across the front yard Thursday morning as the first yellow rays of the sun were just shining through.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

I thought that this would be the last shot but about five minutes later another came following.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

As this one came to it’s closest distance, about 150 yards, I gave out a loud whistle. I popped its head up.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Me, I’m okay with coyotes. You see, we have mice all over the place and mice are Snickers Bars for these guys. They are not a nuisance for us. They can be a varmint for farmers and I understand that. In the city, they are too close to humans and they are just asking for trouble. Here on the salt marsh they are just part of the balance of nature.

Be sure to visit Camera Critters this week.

7 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Neat sighting and photos of the Coyote! Happy weekend!

brujolito said...

Probably on their way to Plum Island Take Out!
[The bird sanctuary]

The Furry Gnome said...

Lotsa coyotes here too. Did you say that's your front yard!?

Margaret Adamson said...

HI Steve Very interesting post. Great shots. At least they help you keep down the mice.

Steve Borichevsky said...

Thanks, Eileen. It is a nice weekend. The cold snap broke!

Yes, Furry Gnome. My "font yard" is the Great Salt Marsh that runs from Gloucester, Massachusetts all the way up to New Hampshire. Our house is 50 feet off of the high tide mark.

Hi Margaret, It's always a pleasure to have you stop by.

myponderings said...

Beautiful shots of an example of a very handsome but dangerous animal. We occasionally have coyote sightings near my workplace (situated right on a small river and wooded areas very nearby) but I've yet to see one myself.

Gunilla Bäck said...

They're beautiful animals.

Related Posts with Thumbnails