Thursday, February 13, 2014

Pine Siskins just make me happy

A long time ago I owned a house on the side of a canyon in Colorado. We set up a feeding station. We had some pretty cool birds there; Common Nighthawks, Cordilleran Flycatchers, Pygmy Nuthatch, Western Bluebirds, Steller’s Jays, and Mountain Chickadees just to name a few. Pine Siskins were regulars to our feeders.

Life goes on and the house was sold. I had to move down into town with the House Sparrows and European Starlings. So I stopped feeding birds. For the first time in 17 years I have a feeding station. We get the occasional starling and House Sparrow but not enough to be a problem.

I was happy to find that a Pine Siskin has become a regular to my feeders last week. Pine Siskins are cousins to the American Goldfinch, both being in the Carduelis genus along with the other Goldfinches and Redpolls.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Here it is taking a ride on the thistle feeder. It was snowing and blowing. There’s a lot of competition at the thistle feeder from the American Gold Piggies, but the Siskin holds his position and doesn’t take any guff. 

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

4 comments:

eileeninmd said...

I love the cute Pine Siskins. They are another bird gone missing this winter. Great shots.

Judy said...

I love that last shot, Steve!! The slashes of the snow blowing just add so much life, and the way the siskin is looking at the camera!!!

CabinGirl said...

Beautiful shots, Steve! Love the windy, snowy feeling you captured in the first photo. The colors, the textures - it's just perfect.

bunnits said...

Great shots.

Related Posts with Thumbnails