Sunday, January 26, 2014

The quest for Snowies

With great determination last Sunday morning I decided to go out to Plum Island again to see if I could get a good shot of a Snowy Owl. Just past the Plum Island Airport is a pink abandoned house. There’s a Snowy on top of it.

Snowy Owl 19 January 2014 - 006-3

As you can see, the weather was overcast and looking at the chimney you can see that the wind was blowing the snow that was falling.

Snowy Owl 19 January 2014 - 007

He flew off and landed on a power pole, a little closer. Okay, it’s a kind of a beauty-ugly juxtaposition composition. 

Snowy Owl 19 January 2014 - 016

After a while it took off and gave me a suitable image to build a new banner.

Snowy Owl 19 January 2014 - 018

It flew onto the roof of a house in a nearby neighborhood. I decided to relish the moment that we had (there were a few other photographers and twitchers enjoying the show). I’m not so keen on pointing cameras and scopes at stranger’s houses and I happily tucked my gear and went off to Plum Island Light to see if I could get a good shot of the lighthouse in the snow.

There was another Snowy Owl right by the beach access! By now the snow had picked up.

Snowy Owl 19 January 2014 - 020

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Very cautiously, I worked with it for about ten minutes when he showed the slightest bit of distress, I slowly turned around and walked away.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

It looks like it has a meal in its talons. I’m not sure what it is. 

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

11 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

Great pictures and a nice new banner!

Kelly said...

...these are fabulous, Steve. What a great experience!

Kerri Farley said...

Awesome shots Steve!!

John @ Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Great photos. I am impressed with how you are able to get the exposure so good without the white on the owl being blown out.

Kathryn said...

Great shots! So beautiful.

A New England Life said...

Lucky you, Steve! Awesome shots! I'm really hoping to get down that way this week and see if I can come up with a Snowy too. I'd even be happy with an Eagle! Ha !

Roy Norris said...

Super images of the 'Snowy' Steve and in very appropriate conditions.{:))

Marilyn Kircus said...

Wow! TWO snowies. Now if one of them could have been a male. But fantastic shots.

Lew said...

Great shots of the snowy owl! The second one seems to be saying "one more step and you will be my lunch".

Tammie Lee said...

lucky you to see this beautiful owl and get these wonderful photographs!

eileeninmd said...

Cool sighting of the Snowy owl! Great shots!

Related Posts with Thumbnails