Saturday, January 11, 2014

Stork’s-bill

When I was taking this photo in the mountains outside of Palm Springs, CA I noticed some flowers blooming at my feet. I got excited because I didn’t expect to see any flowers on the trip.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

This is a plant that I have seen all my life. It reminds me of my ex-father-in-law who was a damned good naturalist. When it came to plants, he knew them cold and knew what family had how many stamens right down to the gnat’s ass. I seem to remember him calling this wild geranium, but that was a good 30 years ago so I had better track this down. I was having difficulty finding it, found myself visiting The Geranium Blog and was able to get some confidence that I might possibly know what the heck I’m talking about.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Having been put onto a path, I found this on Wikipedia. It looks like I’ve to my plant identified. Well, close enough, anyway.

Erodium cicutarium

In addition to the flowers and leaves, I have some other clues. Note the 4 and 6 above are found in my photos. The long seed pods burst open in a spiral when ripe. The spiral winds and unwinds with changes in humidity which help burry the seed into the ground. Pretty cool.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Be sure to visit Today’s Flowers this week.

5 comments:

Roy Norris said...

I think you have cracked it Steve, a positive ID.

Gunilla Bäck said...

It's a very pretty little flower.

Margaret Adamson said...

HI Steve A beautiful little flower that you found.

Arija said...

Such fun to compare the common names as well. In English the Stork's-bill, in German, on the botanical drawing, the Heron-bill. We have lots of wild geraniums on our paddocks as the early settlers brought the seeds to augment the sheep feed in dry years.
I like sleuthing for plant origins too and although I often search the net, I usually double check with my botanical tomes.

DeniseinVA said...

Hi Steve, thank you so much for sharing your beautiful flowers with us at Today's Flowers, and my apologies for being so late commenting. I enjoyed all the photos you shared.

Related Posts with Thumbnails