Friday, January 3, 2014

Snowy Owl

There has been a lot of buzz about the Snowy Owl irruption last year and this year. I didn’t get a Snowy Owl last year. Today after getting a whopping 23” of snow I got my life bird. I actually digiscoped this with my spotting scope and a point and shoot, so the photo is a little course.

Snowy Owl 03 January 2014 - 16404

This is a juvenile owl. Most likely a first year bird. The owl has a bit of blood under the right eye. I’m hoping the blood stain is because it was a messy eater. Snowy Owls are known lemming munchers but they will take waterfowl, rabbits, squirrels, weasels, wading birds, and geese. So I’m hoping that this owl just needs a face washing.

This is the scene from deck. The Osprey platform is quite a ways out on the salt marsh. Below are shots with my 300mm on a cropped sensor.

untitled 03 January 2014 - 16425

Another snapshot cropped down. Other than the apparent injury under the eye, the bird looks fine. He flies very well, so I’m sure he’s okay.

untitled 03 January 2014 - 16431



Visit Camera Critters

5 comments:

eileeninmd said...

I love the Snowy Owl. They are showing up everywhere. Very Cool!

Have a happy weekend!

Kathryn said...

Congrats on a life bird! What a sight!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

fantastic! We have at least one of them out here in Nahant as well but I haven't seen it. I've been told they are very skittish of photographers so it is best to capture them from afar.

Kelly said...

...congrats on the life bird and the photos!!!! Very exciting. I keep hoping one will show up in my yard. One was sighted just one county north of us! :-)

Margaret Adamson said...

Hi Steve. Congrats on a 'lifer'. Looks a beautiful bird.

Related Posts with Thumbnails