Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!

It is a day of celebration as we rang out the old last night and ring in the new today. Becky and I just got back from Palm Springs, California. Since we flew in from New England to California and my internal clock was not yet synchronized with the local time zone, I was able to get out early before the crowds and do my own personal photo shoot with Marilyn Monroe. 

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Marilyn statue is an interpretation from one of her most iconic scenes from The Seven Year Itch. Artist Seward Johnson executed Marilyn in stainless steel and aluminum and although it is impolite for a gentleman to comment of a lady’s weight, Marilyn is tipping the scale at 34,300 lbs.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Marilyn was discovered in Charlie Farrell’s Racquet Club by William Morris talent agent Johnny Hyde. She was photographed many times around the club’s swimming pool. In the 1950’s Marilyn was a regular visitor to Palm Springs with Joe DiMaggio and she had a home in the Vista Las Palmas Neighborhood.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

For this artist, it is a real pleasure to get back into the desert and have an opportunity to work with the fabulous light and textures as the comes up. The lack of moisture gives the light a very harsh and strong quality as it rips through the stunning blue sky. Although we are all aware of the scene from the Seven Year Itch where Marilyn’s character stands over a ventilation grate which blows under her skirt, if it were not for that awareness we could imagine that the force of the light as the sun rose that morning was the force giving the dynamics motion caught in this statue.

And what will this New Year bring? I hope that it brings happiness and fortune to you and those around you. Yes, there will be unknown tragedies that will unfold in the times ahead. In these moments, keep in mind that it is man’s attempt to do good works that drives him forward. And it is the artists that create futures.

3 comments:

peggy said...

I visit your page regularly but I don't think I have ever commented. Your art just boggles me and I loved your written post today. Have a wonderful year driven by good works and inspiration. Create futures! best wishes. Peggy from Michigan.

John @ Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

I did not know that art piece existed in Palm Springs. I will make a point to swing by there on my next road trip. Have a good year Steve.

Kelly said...

Happy New Year, Steve. Fun and beautiful post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails