Thursday, January 16, 2014

Close Encounters of the Red-tailed Hawk Kind

I haven’t been to Plum Island for a few years. After all, I look over to the island every morning. Sunday morning I decided to go out there and spend $20 on an annual pass. That would inspire me to get out there more often. I had a pleasant drive and on my way back I saw a hawk kiting. So I pulled off the road to watch what was happening.

untitled 12 January 2014 - 16628

untitled 12 January 2014 - 16630

It’s onto something! And down it went.

untitled 12 January 2014 - 16633

Then it came out of the grass and the bushes.

untitled 12 January 2014 - 16638

And started to come towards me.

untitled 12 January 2014 - 16639

No, I mean IT STARTED TO COME TOWARDS ME!

untitled 12 January 2014 - 16641

What the?!?!…

untitled 12 January 2014 - 16642

Looking through the lens (and this is the full frame) I was thinking, “BROWN ALERT!”

untitled 12 January 2014 - 16643

Holy crap!

untitled 12 January 2014 - 16646

He landed on the sign right behind my car, about 15 feet from my face. Uhm, ah, Hello!

untitled 12 January 2014 - 16648

Ah, now what do I do? I didn’t want to move but the sun was directly behind him. Well, obviously, he knows I’m here so I walked around.

untitled 12 January 2014 - 16654

I mean seriously, I need to back up and get a better angle. That’s better.

untitled 12 January 2014 - 16665

ooooOOOOOOoooh! Now I get it. He picked himself up a little snack!

untitled 12 January 2014 - 16655

Is must suck to be at the bottom of the food chain.

untitled 12 January 2014 - 16662

Check out those talons!

untitled 12 January 2014 - 16657

untitled 12 January 2014 - 16677

If you’re wondering, that is a long strand of grass that he has stuck in his shoulder. No big deal.

Be sure to check out Skywatch Friday this week.

16 comments:

EasyDiverChris said...

You certainly got your $20 worth, Steve. Wonderful shots!

brujolito said...

WOW!

Carol Mattingly said...

That doesn't happen every day does it Steve?

John @ Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

My goodness, twenty dollars well spent even if it were only a day pass. You will never get a close-up like that with the mouse in beak again. (Never say never) This is Nat. Geo. material. Thanks for the clarification on the grass strand for I was thinking it a wire for a tracking antenna.

Laura said...

Steve these are amazing photos!!!

Laura said...

Steve these are amazing photos!!!

Christian Weiß said...

Incredible photos, wow...

perishedcore said...

I think you mis-captioned one: "check out those talons" should be "check out this talent"!

Spectacular - even to the reflection in the eye!

The Furry Gnome said...

What an amazing piece of luck! Spectacular photos! Glad it's just a pice of grass; looked so much like a wire.

Lea said...

What an incredible encounter!
Have a wonderful week-end!
Lea

ladyfi said...

Wow - magnificent shots, especially the close-ups!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Whoa, these are incredible. Never seen shots like this so up close and personal! You should submit these for publication somewhere.

TheChieftess said...

WOW!!! What fabulous captures!!! How lucky you were that he chose to land so close to you...and how unlucky for that poor mouse!!!

Roy Norris said...

So how is it that birds of prey come to you to get photographed then Steve.?
The rest of us have to chase about the country trying to get the slightest glimpse.}{:))

Roy Norris said...

Just had a thought Steve, was there more meat on the rodent than on you.? {:))

Noemí said...

Wauuuu....Muy buenas capturas...Las últimas me encantan...buen trabajo.

Abrazote

Noemí

Related Posts with Thumbnails