Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Sundry fall birds

The weather is getting cooler here in Massachusetts. The foliage, so ephemeral, is dropping rapidly. Soon it will be stick season. We have a lot of cheery little fellows to help us get through the cold season. The ever present Black-capped Chickadee gets my vote for being the one of the toughest. This wad of skin and feathers makes it though the tough Northern winters. And he eats poison ivy berries.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Moving back into the region is the White-throated Sparrow. I think he has the sweetest call. In fact, much to my delight, one was calling in the back yard today.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Our American Gold-piggies are still in town, chowing down the thistle. Even the hens are a little more drab. This one I found on a walk in the woods enjoying some alder cones.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Here is a Yellow-rumped Warbler, A.K.A “Butter But” eyeing some poison ivy berries.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Okay, I’m a supposed to be a big boy and ID my own birds now, but I’m having a bit of a time deciding what this thing is sitting on an elderberry bush and hopping in and out of the phragmites. The filed guides state that the streaking on a Lincoln Sparrow is bold, but some show the streaking rather washed.  If you look real close, it is in the exact same position as the White-throated Sparrow above. It is a smidge smaller. If you have a definitive answer, could you let me know?

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

When I got home the other day, this Sharp-shinned Hawk was sitting on a post in the yard by the driveway. I dove right by him. Ha! I had my gear in the trunk. I drove around to the back of the house, got out the camera and went back to shoot it. It was fine until I pulled the camera up to my face and it flew off. Then it gave me the stink eye.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Yes, this sharpy has been hanging around the house. Feeding songbirds sometimes means feeding the hawks. I don’t have a problem with that. It is neither good nor bad. It’s they way it has been going on for hundreds of thousands of years. Besides. I rather like Sharpies.

In other news, I heard a Barred Owl calling in the woods a week ago.

Be sure to visit Wild Bird Wednesday this week.

15 comments:

Dave said...

Love the White Throated Sparrow Steve but unfortunately cant help with the ID of the other.

Richard said...

I'd call it a Lincoln. Can't find anything in my sparrow books that match it.

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Great bird photos. Thanks for the reminder; I have to fill the thistle feeder for the flying piggies.

Margaret Adamson said...

HI Steve I love the pattern on the Sparrows head. these small birds are lovely

VetVoyeur said...

Lincoln's Sparrow.

Steve Borichevsky said...

VetVoyeur and Richard, Thanks for your help!

Amanda said...

lovely friends for winter!

mick said...

A great series of photos. I especially like the little Chickadee.

Karen said...

A terrific series, the Chickadees are one of favourite "winter" birds.

Gemma Wiseman said...

A wonderful variety of birds. I so love the white throated sparrow. A real cutie.

eileeninmd said...

I love the cute chickadee! Great photos, Steve!

Judy said...

Gorgeous collection!!! No help with sparrow identification, though!! I saw kinglets while I was in Woodstock, and one of each colour stood still long enough for me to identify them...

Gunilla Bäck said...

Beautiful photos of the little cuties.

HansHB said...

A great post for the theme!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Lovely Autumn images abd your birds are delightful, even the Sharp Shinned chap ;) Congratulations on the Boston Red Sox WIN!

Related Posts with Thumbnails