Saturday, October 26, 2013

Castle Inn in West Gloucester, MA

image

imageLike many places in Gloucester, Massachusetts, this building has a chunk of trivia attached to it. Yes, for those of us that were born before the days of bicycle helmets and our parents used to make us go out for the school bus by ourselves, you may remember LePage’s School Glue. Sure you do, it came in an hour glass shaped bottle and had a red rubber cap. Whereas I’m not as old as the the advertising card above, I do remember the glue bottle.

The Spruce Manor in Gloucester (as it was originally) was built by the Brooks family in 1900 for the construction cost of $14,200.00. The family were co-founders of Russia Cement, the company that produced LaPages glue. The LePage Glue Factory was founded in 1876 and used fish waste to make their product until about 1951 when it was moved to Toronto, Canada.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Today, the inn serves as a B&B. I’ve enjoyed a few dinners here. It is a warm and inviting place and I couldn’t resist stopping by and snapping a foliage shot.

4 comments:

Judy said...

Did the class clown in your class eat the glue, too?
It is a beautiful building, but what a cost for the construction!!!

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Yep, I remember the stuff. It would always dry hard on the rubber tip and I'd have to peal that away and sometimes reopen the crack too. Glad I live in the age of Elmer's glue sticks.

Margaret Adamson said...

Hi Steve that looks a wonderful B&B. I wouldn't mind staying there.

retriever said...

Great manor, beautiful architectur, Have a nice new week.

Related Posts with Thumbnails