Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Barre Gray

©2013 Steve BorichevskyI took a drive up to Barre, Vermont where I have family. Having conversations with my uncle over the years, I heard him mention that the granite quarries were slowing down and the Wells-Lamson quarry was abandoned.

As a kid, I would marvel at how deep the quarry is. I would never gaze over such vast depths of sheer rock face until I would hike down the grand canyon. As the years progressed I would wonder if it would seem so deep now. But I will never know. As my uncle told me three years ago, the quarry has filled up with water. I couldn’t fathom such a deep hole filling up with water, but I’ve lived around abandoned slate quarries all my life. Yes, demands slow, economies change and production stops. Then the quarries fill up with water. We will never marvel at the depth of this quarry again, nor see the men at the bottom who moved all this stone although they looked no bigger than mites.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

There are now approximately inactive quarries in the Barry area. The Barre granite quarry district is located in the southeastern section of Barre Town, Washington County, Vermont, near the villages of Graniteville and Websterville. The quarried area extends slightly into the northeastern corner of Williamstown, Orange County.

I’m not sure which quarry this is below. It is located in Graniteville. I could hear voices in the distance. It took a minute to locate the source, but I did. To give you a sense of scale, I’ve included some people in the photo. Can you find them?

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

This will help you find them. (Wow, the resolution on my D600 with the kit 24-85 kicks butt.)

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Here is a Rock of Ages promotional video that talks about the stone that came out of these quarries. As a little bit of family trivia, my great-grandmother used to run a boarding house for the Italian men that worked the Bethel quarries mentioned in the video below.

3 comments:

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Interesting video as I never really gave much thought to the different shades and colors of granite before.

Kathryn said...

Stunning colors and reflections. Interesting subject matter too. Cool.

Judy said...

I love the colours of the trees against the granite!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails