Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Another Road trip? Mt. Orne Covered Bridge

You betcha! I had maxed out my vacation time again and my manager walked into my cube and said, “You’re taking a day off this week, right?” Yes! I had my eye on the weather and the foliage reports. Folks, I’m headed for the Northeast Kingdom. The Northeast Kingdom is the northeast corner of the U.S. state of Vermont, comprising Essex, Orleans and Caledonia counties.

Growing up in the south west part of Vermont, although the distance is not that far, “you can’t get there from here”. So I never did. But from Cape Ann, just take I-95 to New Hampshire, hop on 101, take it to I-93 and Bob’s your uncle, you’re a Flatlander in the NEK.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Here, I’m driving through the White Mountains, approaching the Franconia Notch.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

It is much more impressive when viewed in person. A beautiful area, but I have a target to obtain. I’m off to Vermont. So the Garmin took me up to NH Rt 135 and “to Covered Bridge”. Cool! Of all the places to cross the Connecticut River, she’s taking me to a covered bridge?!?! I say “she” because I use the female voice. Men are used to blindly following orders from women. 

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

This is one cool bridge! I forgive my Garmin for every time “she” took me over one lane dirt back roads when I wanted to take an intestate, dumped me on interstates when I intended to go on back roads and tried to take me on the Mass Turnpike ($$$$) way down south when I just need to go west.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

This is the one time I will not kvetch about the Garmin taking down a one-lane road. Trust me, I’m cool with this.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Just for completeness, here is a shot of the Vermont side. The lighting was at my disadvantage.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

As fabulous as this little photo shoot was, it wasn’t my target! Oh, before I forget the bridge stretches between Lunenburg, Vermont and Lancaster, New Hampshire. Happily, I went off to my target location and did the shoot and then wanted to go to St Jay (That’s St. Johnsbury for all you others that are driving with out of state plates in the NEK). Now I carry a copy of a real map in my car. You just cannot trust technology and all those fangled satellites. You never know when you will be out in the middle of some God-forsaken territory and a meteor hits one of the damned satellites and you find yourself stranded in the middle of no-where without a GPS signal. Chances are that you’ll be without a cellphone signal, too. Yah, a map, the old fashioned way.

After I forgave the Garmin for all of “those times”, I punched in St Johnsbury into the Garmin. There was a perfectly good back road that ran to St Jay. It ran southwest through the mountains. It would have been great. What did she do? Before I realized it and got committed to a path, she took me further west across the Connecticut and back to the interstate. Now I cannot take photos driving down the interstate. I should have used a map. Which I did. On the next leg. Just saying.

6 comments:

Helen said...

You did great! Those are beautiful pictures. I love covered bridges.

The Furry Gnome said...

Love that covered bridge, and the skies. Drove through Vermont one year ago now and loved it. And I never trust a GPS while driving! Give me a map every time!

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Love those windshield shots. That bridge far exceeds in length any of the covered bridges I saw in Madison County Iowa. Wonderful. I've named my GPS girl Claire. Makes it more personable when I find myself talking to her - "Where are you taking me now Claire? I don't want to go this way Claire! Whew, thanks for getting me out of that mess Claire" and so on.

Amazing wonders in my life said...

Wow... Loved the sky... Fantastic shots

Jennifer A. Jilks said...

We named our Garmin Gillian, after our lawyers british clerk. I love the places she takes us! Your photos are wonderful, as ever.
Cheers from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

Roy Norris said...

That is a super bridge Steve.
Know what you mean about the Garmin. Do you have two women in the car telling you what to do, like me.{:))

Related Posts with Thumbnails