Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sunflowers on a blue pallet

Did you catch my sunflower photo study last Wednesday? I did the photo shoot in between rain showers and had a gray sky so I used the trees in the background to provide a canvas. Friday morning I went back over to the field to try again in the morning light. As I predicted, the sunflowers were beginning to droop over because of the weight of the ripening seed heads. Nevertheless, it worked to my advantage. Take a look at the sky below. It is blue. Note that the sun is to my right.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Watch what happened when I point the camera up towards the face of the flowers, turning 90 degrees so the the sun is directly behind me. Notice how the sky saturates? These are the photos that I envisioned when I first found the field. Note that I did not do any different tweaking to the subsequent images that I did to the first photo.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Have you ever been in a Japanese meditation garden and noticed that a stone path has either an extra stone or a missing stone, just to make you stop and think? That’s what this photo is all about. It looks out of place…but yet it belongs.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Way back in time, I actually made a little video about shooting blue skies without a filter.

Be sure to visit Today’s Flowers this week. I’m going to!

2 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

A good quick lesson in sky photography. Thanks. I find that simply paying attention to the sky as background does a lot for your pictures.

Roy Norris said...

Yes I did see the previous post Steve, beautiful flowers.
Another good reason to make a return vacation to Tuscany one day.
Informative video as always Steve. Thanks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails