Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Hood Ornament Photo Study

There are always a lot of cool rides at car shows but the trick is to make some meaningful images between all the spectators and the cars parked together. Okay, when I find myself thinking like this, then I like to challenge myself to get a image. I’d love to take these cars into a controlled studio filled with large soft boxes and make perfect images, but I’m not a studio guy, I’m a found image photographer.

At this car show, I decide to get some cool hood ornament shots and try a few styles. First up is an ornament on the hood of a 38 Dodge. This one has seen a few storms.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Here are is an image of a Ford Model A Flying Partridge flying out of a green field.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Here is the same one flying along the tree line.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

There were several of these at the show. Here I took the opportunity to shoot in a different style.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

This '28 Packard sports a radiator cap with a thermometer.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

This greyhound is leaping off of the hood of a ‘32 Ford Victoria.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Greyhounds were also used on Lincolns.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

An elegant 1941 Cadillac.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Okay, just sit back and enjoy the forms in this image. I love the ‘37 Studebaker Dictator hood ornament with the ‘39 Buick Special bullet headlights in the background.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

This next hood ornament is one of my favorites. The original logo for Plymouth was the Mayflower. You will find hood ornaments with a sailing ship motif through out the early years. This one is the 1934 design.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

I hope you enjoyed this little post. I shot the bulk of these at the Rye New Hampshire Lyon’s Club auto show last weekend.

2 comments:

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

These are nice. Thanks for the idea for me to do at my next car show.

Margaret Adamson said...

Hi Steve Well now. That was a brilliant idea. Very creative and great shots of all of them. I love going to see older cars but would never thought of that great idea.

Related Posts with Thumbnails