Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Bees at my knees

I found Bald-faced Hornet nest! Totally cool. Come take a look.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

This nest is bigger than a basketball. Let’s get closer! Come on, I’ve got your back.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

There we go!

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Just a few feet closer.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Okay. That’s close enough!

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

You have to admit, it is a fascinating structure.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Okay, now the disclaimer. Just as when I shoot big waves during storms, I use long lenses and keep my wits about me. These are all full frame photos, all were shot at effectively 420mms, so I’m not on top of the hornets.  I did have an exit strategy and fortunately we didn’t have any brown alerts.

Actually, they were taking sorties and flying right at me, then they would swerve around me and go about their business. I would have worked with them longer but I was having problems with the mosquitos (much nastier than this hive of hornets).

Now that I gave my disclaimer, here is a cropped shot. (Got it, this is cropped. Don’t try to get a shot like this with your iPhone or you will have a brown alert. Just sayin’.) Let’s get over the heebie-jeebie factor and think about it. These animals are all working together and building a functional structure.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

3 comments:

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Great shots. That is a masterpiece of construction. I like the word of advice as to not try this with your iPhone.

Margaret Adamson said...

Hi Steve This is a fantastic post. I loved seeing all the Hornets coming in and out of the nest. Wonderful.

The Furry Gnome said...

Fantastic! It really is an interesting structure.

Related Posts with Thumbnails