Thursday, August 8, 2013

Swallowtails

I’m having a pretty good Swallowtail year which aggravates the Obsessive-compulsive Butterfly Photography Disorder that I suffer from. On the 3rd of August I saw a big yellow butterfly that didn’t look quite right. I grabbed my gear and headed out the door. This bug was highly animated. I swear, it must have gone down to the local coffee shop and sipped one of those fangled double mocha latte caffeine-chinos.

No kidding, I just went after this guy and shot with the camera hand-held. I didn’t even check what my settings were! That’s like trying to cook and reaching into the spice drawer blindfolded and hope that you don’t put cayenne pepper in the New England Clam Chowder.

It turns out that the lens was set at f/8 and thank goodness I didn’t loose my marbles and leave the camera with the exposure compensation off by 2 stops from the last shoot that I did. Okay, these are not award winning Nat Geo shots, but I’m pretty happy that it turned out to be a Giant Swallowtail, which is a pretty good bug for this area.  So I thought that I’d do a post with all of the Swallowtail species that I’ve shot in the yard this summer. No kidding, these are all from our front yard this summer.

As I mentioned, the first up is the Giant Swallowtail that had me running for my gear. I got off 8 quick shots and was able to keep three that were semi-sort of okay, good enough to document what I had. (No more coffee for the Giant Swallowtail!)

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

This is a Black Swallowtail that hung around for a couple of days.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

And an outtake from the Spicebush Swallowtail post from a few days ago.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Finally, another from yesterday’s Eastern Tiger Swallowtail shoot.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

3 comments:

Margaret Adamson said...

These butterflies are just exquisite and great that you manged to get them considering they had a coffee mix!!

The Furry Gnome said...

Some days I think I suffer from the same disorder, but I don't match your great pictures!

Roy Norris said...

More beautiful images Steve. Thanks for posting these.

Related Posts with Thumbnails