Friday, August 23, 2013

Forgotten Photo Friday, Monarch are having a tough time

It’s rather odd that I would post forgotten photos of the Monarch. Here in the Atlantic North East, the Monarch is usually quite common. However this year, I’ve only seen a couple and I haven’t gotten off any shots.

Here’s the deal. The Monarch has had a rough time last year, and word out on the street is that the storms during the Fall migration last year were particularly hard. Additionally, the drought conditions in Texas and Mexico along a vital migration route made it extremely difficult to cross. Throw in last year’s Texas wild fires and you can see that this has been a struggle for these bugs.

Here in Essex county, folks that I’ve chatted with are also noticing that the monarch sightings are down. I hope that if you have milkweed plants on your property, you can see fit to let them grow as this is the Monarch’s larval food plant.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

4 comments:

Frank said...

I remember seeing a few in Texas some years ago .. a stunning sight.

Let's hope the conditions improve to enable their numbers to bounce back.

The Furry Gnome said...

I've only seen one this year too. Around here they're saying it is the neonictinide pesticides, the ones that are also killing off the bees.

A New England Life said...

I haven't seen even one yet, and my neighbor and I have been looking for them. She's a preschool teacher who has plenty of milkweed in her backyard to raise monarchs for her classroom. Then the kids can let them go. This year, nothing.

A New England Life said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts with Thumbnails