Friday, August 16, 2013

Forgotten Photo Friday, California Quail Remix

©2011 Steve BorichevskyNow mind you, I don’t often shot this poorly. Sometimes I come across a situation where the camera just cannot get it right. This was one example when I was in a State Park in Newport Beach, California. I was walking down the trail and saw this California Quail in a bush. Behind me was a woman walking her dogs. I had to take my shots and hope for the best. The bird was severely backlit and well, here is what it looked like straight out of the camera. This is a bird that I don’t get to shoot every day so rather than let the frames hit the cutting room floor, I ran them through Lightroom 4. A little exposure compensation, fix the contrast, pump up the shadows, and bada-boom, bada-bing, I got an image. Seriously, it took me less than two minutes to make the corrections.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

This is just another reason that I shoot RAW format. Had these been JPGs that the camera spit out for me, well, they would have hit the cutting room floor, only to be swept up and sent to the cyber landfill. No amount of editing would be able to create the image.

5 comments:

Margaret Adamson said...

Hi Steve That was a great resurrection. Great shot of this lovely bird. I have never seen it before. am away on hols tomorrow so may not be commenting but hopefully still posting.

Helen said...

Some beautiful shots of a beautiful bird.

Kerri Farley said...

Gorgeous bird!

Roy Norris said...

I dont ever remember you shooting something poorly Steve. I tend to shoot a mixture of RAW and JPG depending on what I am shooting.

Chris said...

Wow wonderful on the top of the branch. Well done Steve and well sighted... Beautiful images...

Related Posts with Thumbnails