Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The coolest Common Green Darner images you will see today.

Photographing Common Green Darners is a real challenge. These feisty hunters are always on the wing taking down other flying insects. Sometimes you can find them resting in low vegetation. However catching them in the act of depositing eggs is right up there in the top ten photographic experiences that I’ve had!

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Yah, go for it! In the aquatic environment, their larva will hunt down and devour mosquito larva. That’s why I’m so jazzed about dragonflies. Not only are they fun to photograph they are great to have around. When I go into dragon country, I’m very rarely pestered by mosquitos even though I don’t use bug spay!

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

I’m sure you figured it out, but that is the male in the front and the female in the back. She’s ovipositing her eggs down onto aquatic vegetation. Although I have only seen one new dragonfly this year, I’m having a great dragon year. Twelve thousand monkeys never got it so good.

4 comments:

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

Beautiful universe.. Cheers!!!.

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Well done!

The Furry Gnome said...

Your photos are always amazing!

Roy Norris said...

They sure are Steve.{:))
What a contrast, green and light blue.

Related Posts with Thumbnails