Monday, July 22, 2013

Orenda Spring, Saratoga Springs, New York

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

I have visited the Saratoga Performing Art Center many times with my parents. This is an open air venue that hosts the Philadelphia Orchestra, New York City Ballet and hundreds of big name artists in music and dance. As you walk across the footbridge from the parking lot to the theater, if you look down to the right towards the Geyser Creek, you will see a nob jutting out of the bank. I always wondered what it was, so on my recent trip I sought it out. 

I started out from the SPAC parking lot. When I got close the smell rotting eggs floated downwind. There was the spring, spitting and fomenting away.

Orenda Spring is one of the many found in Saratoga Springs. I tasted the water in this one. It is not for the novice! Highly carbonated, highly mineral and quite pungent , the spring was (and still is) thought to be a curative. I happen to subscribe to such to such opinions. After all, sulfur is good for skin ailments and the water is loaded with minerals. Many of the springs in Saratoga Springs are quite tasty and refreshing. This one, well no. But I’d love to soak in it. 

The water spills over the bank and as the gas evolves and the water evaporates, a tufa deposit is formed. Tufa is a type of limestone formed by the precipitation of carbonate minerals from water.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

You can walk up to and along the tufa deposit. There is the bridge to the SPAC complex.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

As the water flows over the tufa, the minerals deposit.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

A walker strolls past by the deposit.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Some of the minerals do not adhere to the tufa formation and become a fine sand. These are continuously washed down the path and into the creek. You can see this in the lower left of this image.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

A scene just upstream from the tufa formation.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Afterwards, I went into Congress Park and got a jug of water from one of my favorite springs.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Be sure to visit Our World Tuesday this week!

8 comments:

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

This looks like a wonderful place to visit. Must make a note of that if I am ever nearby in my travels.

Margaret Adamson said...

Hi Steve I don't think I would like to try that water however it was very interesting to read you post and it looks a nice area. Margaret

Pearl said...

holy. if rock forms, that's mineral water alright. didn't realize the spring was still there.

Min fotogen said...

Great photo and interesting to read !

ladyfi said...

What gorgeous shots - looks like a lovely place.

Fun60 said...

That looks like a great place to visit.

Gary said...

Great tour!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Huldra said...

What a beautiful place. Thank you for sharing :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails