Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Papa Downy

I haven’t seen the female around and I’m not sure what’s up. I cannot find a reference for Downy Woodpeckers females leaving the brooding for the male. Here is Papa Downy foraging

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

All Saturday afternoon, I kept an eye on the nest. The female seemed to be missing. Undaunted, Papa Downy took good care of the brood.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

He made numerous feeding trips all afternoon long.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

He kept an eye out for predators.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Here he’s removing a fecal sac from the nest.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Many trips to the feeder. I’m letting the seed run low to force him to find insect food. I feed black oil sunflower seed and thistle seed for the finches.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Another quick inspection of the nest and another fecal sac to fly out into the woods.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

I hope that the female is okay. I’ll just have to wait and see.

5 comments:

Margaret Adamson said...

Hi I hope the female has ot been killed. May be that is why the male is working so hard for his little brood. Margaret

Steve Borichevsky said...

Hi Margaret, I agree. Sadly the female has not been seen since Friday. Papa Downy is still working hard and keeping up with the work load.

Amazing wonders in my life said...

Beautiful....

Roy Norris said...

He has got his work cut out Steve.

Judy said...

poor papa!!! But he is doing his best!
I love the image where he is flying away from the feeder!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails