Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Least Terns

As I mentioned last week, I have better access to Cranes Beach which is my favorite local beach. Why? Well, quite frankly I get bored just laying around in the sand. Since Cranes has wonderful wildlife management, I get to take advantage of the wildlife after work when there are fewer people.

My all time favorite target species at Cranes is the Least Tern. The Male Least Tern has to prove to his prospective mate that he can bring home the sushi.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Before the the mating, the terns will engage in a little dance ritual.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

A few years ago, I made a little presentation of the courtship ritual.

Stop by tomorrow for some terns presented in a different style.

Visit Wild Bird Wednesday to see what other birds were shot this week.

14 comments:

Frank said...

The beginnings of a hopefully successful breeding season superbly captured.

P.S. Can you remind me what lens you are now using Steve?

Steve Borichevsky said...

Nikkon 300mm f/4.

eileeninmd said...

Steve, awesome shots of the Terns.

Roy Norris said...

Great video Steve and super images.

mick said...

Great series of photos of the courtship of the Least Terns.

Kristi Bowman said...

Wonderful bird and pics!!

dinascitywildlife.com said...

Great action shots! Love the flying fish one.

Karen said...

Excellent shots!

Arija said...

Wow, great shots Steve and the video is an interesting adjunct to the whole ritual. As Ogden Nash said "candy is dandy but liquor is quicker' paraphrases into hanky panky while she's busy with the fish.

Gunilla Bäck said...

Great shots of the terns!

Jenny Smith said...

Stunning shots - the dance is carried out by all sorts of sea birds - I watched a pair of herring gulls dance for days last year

Mary Howell Cromer said...

These are really wonderful images!!!

Dave said...

Lovely Steve, great photography. I have the Little Tern colony here in the UK when I visit my fathers house in North Wales, Fascinating to watch them zip past while I stand on the beach trying to keep up with their flights back and too catching sand eels.

Neil said...

Great series.

Related Posts with Thumbnails