Thursday, June 27, 2013

Great Blue Heron

I know that down in Florida it is easier to get on top of Herons and Egrets. Up here in the north they are very shy and do not tolerate people. A woman approached me on the trail and said that she had a heron walk down the trail in front of her. That’s pretty exciting. So I decide to walk up the trail where she came from and sure enough, I found a big wet bird pooh splat in the middle of the trail.

I walked a little further and there it was! No mind you that I shot this with my 24-84mm lens on a full frame camera. I was pretty close…too close.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

It seemed to be onto something, so I swapped over to my 300mm on the cropped sensor camera. It struck and came up with a fish.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

It took it down whole, as herons do. You can see the bulge in its neck.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

It flew off down the shoreline and did some more hunting. Bam! It’s got another!

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

9 comments:

Roy Norris said...

You were close Steve. Great shots.
Those Herons certainly are good Hunters.

Judy said...

That is sooo cool!!!

Frank said...

Too intent on fishing than hiding from the camera. Nice find Steve.

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Don't think I've ever had one allow me to get that close. Never have caught one with a fish in its mouth either.

Carol Mattingly said...

Hungry guy!

Margaret Adamson said...

Hi Steve You were able to get close up and as he was fishing. Margaret

WPgirl said...

What a wonderful series of photos. Thanks for sharing.
Lynda in Michigan.

Connie Smiley said...

Great shots! That had to be very cool to be up close.

Kerri said...

Super!

Related Posts with Thumbnails