Thursday, March 7, 2013

Ramping up for spring

As I write this post, the wind is howling again. We’ve got a low pressure cell sitting off the Maryland coast causing a Nor’easter like counter spin, bring the constant winds out of the east. It started howling at 2:00 am Wednesday morning and hasn’t stopped. It is a constant 30 to 45 mph wind. March, it comes in like a lion, let’s hope it goes out like a lamb.

But on the brighter side, I’m kind of happy that this is the first time in 17 years that I’ve had a bird feeder! I stopped feeding birds after moving out of the foothills of the Front Range in Boulder, Colorado. I moved into the city and had nothing but European Starlings and House Sparrows. I just cannot see parting with my coinage to perpetuate invasive species.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

When we were living on The Fort in Gloucester, our yard birds were Common Eiders, Great Black-backed Gulls and Double-crested Cormorants. The only “song birds” were starlings and house sparrows. Yes, we had some really cool birds, but it just wasn’t a good place to set up a feeder.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Here in Ipswich, we have a good population of Chickadees and Downy Woodpeckers. We have a few Cardinals and Nuthatches, too. Then there are the others that I listed yesterday. Very, very few starlings and House Sparrows. So Becky and I decided that it was time to get a feeder. As an added bonus, with a good owl population, there are very few squirrels! I’ve only seen two since I’ve been here, although it does take away from the man vs. squirrel games, but that is okay.

I have one rule. The squirrels get to clean up the ground around the feeder. But once they get on the feeder, the war will begin! I have proved myself many a time to be smarter than the average squirrel. No one gets hurt, but the rules is the rules. Clean up around the ground all you want, but stay the hell off of the feeders.

And much to my surprise and delight, my wife has taken a shine to the birds, too. Okay, how can you not take a shin to this?

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

3 comments:

Kerri said...

Marvelous!

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

I like that weather graph. Lots of good info at a glance. The close-up of the Chickadee is top-notch. Great detail.

Cindy said...

Beautiful!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails