Saturday, March 9, 2013

I’ve been busy

In preparation for spring and summer, I built ten nest boxes. I put eight of them up last weekend. I’m hoping for Eastern Bluebirds and Tree Swallows around the open area of the yard. In the wood lot, I put up smaller boxes that are suitable for Chickadees and Nuthatches. Perhaps I’ll get a pair of Carolina Wrens to move in. There are a lot of brush piles, so I could get House Wren also. They are bad neighbors as they will try to fill other cavity nest sights with twigs and they will peck holes in the eggs of other nests. So I’ll just have to see what comes.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

My boxes are made from cedar, a common material material found in the hardware store. I had excellent luck with this design in Colorado. I had Western Bluebirds and White-breasted Nuthatches use my boxes.

5 comments:

Kay said...

Those are great boxes. Bet the birds love them.

Kerri said...

Oh I'm hoping you get lots and lots of birdies :)

Steve Borichevsky said...

Thanks! :-)

Jenny said...

Good luck with getting residents to move in Steve! (-:

Roy Norris said...

Looking forward to the photographs Steve.

Related Posts with Thumbnails