Saturday, February 9, 2013

Saturday Evening Creature Feature, Geese

On the 4th of January, I was driving down our street past a farm field and I spied a gaggle of geese. Out of the corner of my eye, something didn’t add up, so I did a Bat Turn and sure enough. There was something odd in the flock.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

What in the world is this?

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Okay it’s not in my field guides, it is not in reference books.

On the 12th of January, we had a particularly high tide and a gaggle came floating through the front yard. In it was this Snow Goose. Nice!

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Hey, there’s my mystery goose!

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

…and there’s two of them! No look, on has a dark bill, on has a more fleshly colored bill. They seemed to hang tighter to the Snow Goose than the Canada Geese. (Sorry for posting a crappy picture.)

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

So I did some internet searching. I even dug into pictures from Snow Goose hunters. I just cannot put an ID to these geese.

Yesterday, just as the blizzard was beginning, I spotted the goose again.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Yup, it’s a goose.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Okay, anyone have a definitive answer? Perhaps a hybrid snow-white fronted goose?

4 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Cool looking goose. I looked in my field guide and I am still not sure. Could it be some hybird goose? Beautiful photos.

Richard said...

A hybrid for sure. Check out these pictures. Yours would fit in there someplace.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hybrid+snow-white+fronted+goose&hl=en&sa=N&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&ei=S7IXUf3gOYTG0wHKsIGwCw&ved=0CE0QsAQ&biw=1090&bih=718

Why not send the pictures in to Cornell Lab of Ornithology for some help?
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/Page.aspx?pid=1189

Carol Mattingly said...

Not a clue Steve. I have two photos of geese I'm not sure of. Glad you faired well, bowed windows and all.

Judy said...

Definitely a cool looking goose!! I thought they decided what was a species based partly on what could interbreed...

Related Posts with Thumbnails