Sunday, February 10, 2013

Bit of a blow, what?

Yes, we had a bit of weather come in. A real, honest-to-goodness blizzard. During the storm my family was emailing about their conditions. I kept saying, “We only got a quarter of an inch so far…” The reason is that it was all horizontal. Our winds were blowing up to 50mph sustained with gusts to 80. I still don’t know how much snow we received.

So Saturday morning, I wanted to take some pictures in the front yard before high tide disrupted the scene. Then I got a great idea on sharing a tip. So here’s the tip. When shooting snow scenes, override you exposure by +1.6 to +2.0 EV. Here are two photos that I shot in JPG and gave the same mild post processing.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

The top photo was shot taken by letting the camera interpret the photo. The light meter in the camera is designed to make the photo 16% gray. It makes the photo look, well, 16% gray. But closer to reality is the second shot which I increase the exposure by 1-1/3 EV. There is already some black tones in the metering area, so I didn’t need to over do it. The result is more of a “what I saw is what I got” look.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

I want to share with you an excerpt from a email sent out to family:

“We faired well also. The weather report said 40mph winds, but I tend to think that was on the low side. Our windows were bowing in. This was the first storm we had since we started living here. The wind came in unobstructed off of the ocean, across Plum Island and right across the salt marsh. Our house was the first line of defense for the trees behind the house! You can see pictures of “the front yard” in the following link:

http://shootingmyuniverse.blogspot.com/search/label/salt%20marsh

“We are still getting light snow at 12:45 but the clouds are thin, we can see the sun from time to time.

“Okay, now remind me why we live in New England? It is often said by us New Englanders that we love the changing of the seasons. And those of us that move to more benign climates often miss the changing of the seasons. It occurs to me that the reason we are conditioned to look forward to changing of the seasons is because the weather is never quite right and we tire of it, thinking that the next season will bring relief from the “tool cold”, “too muddy”, “too hot”, “too sticky”, “too drab”, “too cold”, “too muddy”…

“Nah, I’ve been through worse. That April 2003 storm in Colorado where we got 48 inches of wet snow was a real pissah. Now that was a storm!”

The the top pictures are looking north. This picture is looking east and is looking out from the front of the house. This is where the wind started from.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

So the wind comes off the Atlantic, from the East, comes over the salt marsh and the first thing it hits is the front of the house and those wonderful picture windows!

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

The the wind whipped up and started coming out of the north. This is why we call ‘em Nor’easters! Our landlord warned us that the house would be shaking, “but don’t worry”. I’m totally fine with that. Hell, I lived in L.A. for three years. I know about rocking houses. [Earthquakes] What he didn’t warn us about was the windows bowing in! Whoo-hoo!

6 comments:

Kerri said...

Glad you got thru it safely!!!

eileeninmd said...

So happy you made it thru Nemo safely. Your snow photos are beautiful and I love that house. The window bowing, sounds a little scary. Great post, have a happy day!

Roy Norris said...

It's a great tip Steve,. I can see where you are coming from. It's not something you would initially do, in fact quite the opposite. As a matter of course I would have tried under exposure first, but you have achieved a great result and the end product look great.

Judy said...

I love your house!!!We only got about 5 inches in Ottawa, but Toronto got about 3 feet (looks good on them - the rest of Canada hates Toronto...)!!
So I need to learn how to + the exposure. I have been adjusting the white balance while editing. Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn'...

Noemí Padrón said...

Un aplauso enorme...unas capturas más que estupendas...¡Qué frioooooooooooooooooo! :-)...Muy bonitas...

Abrazotes

Noemí

Madge Bloom said...

Brrrr... starkly beautiful scene!

Related Posts with Thumbnails