Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Black-should…uh White-tailed Kite

When we travel to the central coast, Becky does the driving. She grew up in the area. On our way to Carmel, California, driving through Pacific Grove along the coast, this put me on the ocean side of the car. I spotted a raptor kiting over the golf course. I’m on the wrong side of the car!

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Bat turn!

Sure enough, it turned out to be a Black-shouldered Kite (Ooops, I’m starting to show my age!) White-tailed Kite. I guess name changes justifies the existence of all those hard working ornithologist that spin between the sheets worrying about the correct vernacular names of birds. 

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

I never throw out my old field guides. Now back in the day, the Black-shouldered Kite was classified as Elanus caeruleus. Now it is the White-tailed Kite, Elanus leucurus. Okay. The leucurus smells a bit like “white” something in Latin.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

A rose by any other name…, I suppose.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

What a beautiful bird.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

It still sports black shoulders.

©2013 Steve Borichevsky

Maybe I’m getting old. After all, I learned how to do Bat turns from men in tights. Now when are they going to straighten out the name of the Red-bellied Woodpecker?

Visit Wild Bird Wednesday

16 comments:

Sharon M said...

Wow, what fabulous pictures!

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

I enjoy watching them hover.

Kathryn said...

Fantastic!

Roy Norris said...

Fabulous images by you Steve and a great handbrake turn by Becky.{:))

Carol Mattingly said...

Yes I vote for them to change red bellied woodpecker too.

mick said...

Beautiful in-flight photos of the bird - whatever name you call it!

Karen said...

Marvellous captures!

bunnits said...

Beautiful! Those eyes (complete with eyeliner) are amazing.

These shots remind me of summers in Memphis when I worked at the archaeological museum. Mississippi Kites nested in the river bottoms near the park and spent hours sailing around the mounds and earthworks. Always a daily treat.

bailey-road.com said...

These flight shots are fabulous!

HansHB said...

Great flight photos!
Well done!

Stewart M said...

Great set of pictures (what ever the bird is called today). Really like the image with the bird peeking over its wing.

Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW - Stewart M - Melbourne

eileeninmd said...

Steve, WOW! Amazing shots of the Kite in flight. It is a beautiful bird. Great sighting.

Kelly said...

...haha! Cute post....and incredible photos of a beautiful bird. I love them. (Loved the Batman clip too...I remember that turn!)

Larry said...

Fantastic shots of a gorgeous bird Steve. The White-tailed Kite is my current photo nemesis bird. Whenever I see them, which isn't often, the light is bad, I'm out of position or the bird is too far away! These photos are awesome! I especially like the last one with the Dracula cape look ;-)

Mary Howell Cromer said...

What a fortunate day for you and that last image...awesome!

Hilke Breder said...

Brilliant captures, Steve! Superb photos! A bird I'd love to see; I am green with envy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails