Thursday, October 4, 2012

Jazz, the Ocean and the DTs

Towards the right of this picture, you see a big series of picture windows on a Victorian style building. That is the Shalin Liu Performance Center in Rockport Massachusetts. Becky and I went there for the first time to see jazz violinist Ben Powell with his Quartet.

©2011 Steve Borichevsky

As you may have suspected, I can be a bit of a dweeb when it comes to photography. I made a conscience decision to leave my gear home. After all, sometimes life can be enjoyed without having a camera jammed against the side of one’s face. (I’ll bet you didn’t expect to ever read that here, did you?)

It was date night so off we went to Rockport. I felt 12 pounds lighter than I felt I should. But tonight, Becky was not going to be a camera widow. I was going to be a responsible adult, put away my toys and go to a concert without as much as a point-and-shoot. Yes folks, I was as cameraless as the day I was born.

We parked the car and walked to the venue. So far, so good. Yes, I did have that shifty look as my eyes darted back and forth…white church, weather vane, storefront…policeman, hey that mailbox looks interesting…the sunlight on Becky…(Okay, just because I was on a diet, it doesn’t mean I can’t look at the menu.)

Then we walked into the space. Oh My God. I thought I was going to lose it. Beads of sweat formed on my brow, my hands stated to tremble and my knees started to buckle. But wait! I’ve got my cell phone! No one knows me here, they won’t laugh at me as I pull my LG Lotus (a dumb phone that is about five years old) out of my pocket and take a snap. Yes, I took this from my seat before the performance began with a freaking dumb phone. It was humiliating, but it did stop the spiders from stampeding across the floor towards my legs.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

 

The center is quite amazing. It is small and I don’t think there is a bad seat in the house. In between pieces, when everyone gets quiet in anticipation of the next piece, you could hear a dragonfly fly. We had a wonderful time and look forward to going again.

Oh, this photo was taken from the third floor where the windows look over the town.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

This screenshot from Ben’s website was taken on the night of the concert. Ben studied music at the Berklee College of Music here in Boston. To learn more about Ben and his music, click on the image below.

image

 

7 comments:

Sharon M said...

Rockport is one of my most favorite places. I wouldn't be caught there without a camera!

Carol Mattingly said...

And you did us proud, dumb phone or not, Steve. Love these images. Carol

PaulaO said...

I've always enjoyed your blog, but this particular entry made me laugh right out loud. I could feel the sweat, and relate. I'm never without my camera. I once overheard my son say, "It can be a pain in the butt sometimes the way she's always snapping pictures. But the photos later are so worth it."
I do recommend a smart phone. I couldn't believe the picture quality when I switched to my iphone. (Still carry my camera, though).

Sylvia K said...

You did us proud indeed, Steve!! I love your captures for the day! I'm so glad you had your smart phone with you! Beautiful place, lovely skies and great music! Doesn't get any better than that! Thanks for sharing it all with us today!! Happy SWF!!!

DeniseinVA said...

This post made me smile Steve, I find it hard to leave a camera behind but thank goodness for cell phones. You took some great shots.

Roy said...

Steve without a camera ???????

Judy said...

Is this what I have to look forward to, if I keep carrying that camera around all the time??!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails