Sunday, September 30, 2012

View Halloo!

I was driving through Wenham towards one of my favorite haunts on a scouting mission for fall colors. The colors I found were unexpected, to say the least.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

I ditched the car, grabbed the gear and prayed for light for it was a dark, overcast day.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

However, overcast days are excellent for shooting. I don’t have to worry about harsh shadows and I can shoot any time of the day. Only if I could get some shutter speed and depth of field!

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

This foxhound pack has a history that goes back to 1882.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Here the Huntsman is taking the pack down between a row of maples. 300mm, f/4.0, ISO 250 and 1/40 second. But I love the colors.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

The pack is at the end of the field about 300 feet away.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Up and over the hill.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Since I’m familiar with the lay of the land of the Appleton farms, I was able to catch the hunt at two road crossings. Here is the end of the hunt.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

If you are curious about fox hunting, may I suggest you check out the Myopia Hunt website.

11 comments:

Sharon said...

Fabulous shots, Steve! I didn't know they had fox hunts in Massachusetts. I'm
assuming they don't actually tree and kill them though. Very nice!

Carol Mattingly said...

Fantastic Steve. You did well. And the overcast light I'm thinking helped not to dull out those black outfits. Carol

Sharon M said...

That's really cool. I've never witnessed a real fox hunt. Whenever I think of fox hunts, I think of the scenes from Mary Poppins.

bunnits said...

What a neat surprise

Roy said...

Yes you did very well there Steve, considering the poor light. Fox Hunting is banned in England now, although they still go out just the same and chase about after a scented drag pulled by a rider and horse. Of course foxes still get killed as a result of this, but they have to shoot them when they get to them. There is considerable divided opinion on this pursuit in this country.

Cheri said...

Very interesting post and great photos!

Steve Borichevsky said...

Hi Sharon, As Roy states, they use a fox scented rag to lay a trail.

Yes Carrol, the overcast sky was my friend. Since this was the first time I've shot a fox hunt, I was flying by the seat of my pants. I would liked to have an extra stop or two of light.

Ha!, Sharon. All I ever knew about the hunt what Uncle Walt taught us.

Hi Roy, fox hunting is still an activity in pockets here in the east where horse cultures are present. We have a horse a deal of horse properties here in Essex County and throughout New England. How popular fox hunting is, I couldn’t say.

Alyson (New England Living) said...

Love these shots! Well done! Beautiful, vibrant colors.

Noemí Padrón said...

Pues mereció la pena rezar :-), vives momentos únicos .-) muy buenas capturas, me gusta especialmente la quinta, aunque todas son bonitas.

Que tengas una linda semana

Noemí

VALKYRIEN said...

All great shots, and a surprise I am sure...but i have to admit i dislike the sport! Shoot the fox, don't use the dogs to hunt it! I know the sport has been up for discussion in England, but I don't know the result of it. Oh well - it's all part of what man is doing for fun! :)

Judy said...

I agree with all those statements... won't bother to repeat them.
I like the slow shutter speed - it gives more of a sense of movement, without being so slow that it disrupts the photo. My favourite is the huntsman leading the pack...

Related Posts with Thumbnails