Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Painted Skimmer

On Saturday morning I headed out for a walk along the tracks in Dogtown. The commuter train headed south back to Boston so I knew that I had lots of time to walk the tracks along the wetlands. I was gunning for a male painted skimmer. I found one female on July 14th so I reasoned that there had to be a male around somewhere. Although my field guide says it is common in Eastern Massachusetts, I’ve only seen the one female.

I did find one male. He looks like he’s been in battle, but keep in mind that the Painted Skimmers will be gone by mid month. Yes, it’s the first of August. Summer is also ephemeral.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

1 comment:

Dan Huber said...

Fantastic shots Steve. Love these guys (especially because one of the few I can ID)

Related Posts with Thumbnails