Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Linguini, Semipalmated Plover Style

This is the first sequence of shorebirds that I’ve taken with the 300mm F/4. The Semipalmated Plover is about 7.25 inches long…if you grab it by the beak and the tail and pull real hard. I was on an open mud flat and I didn’t have a place to sit down, so I had to stalk the bird. It’s a fine line between pressuring the bird and getting the shot, so these were shot from a bit further than I’d like. But the fact that the Plover is feeding means that I was not stressing my subject, which is the Prime Directive of wildlife photography.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

A full crop for now. Birds have a very aggressive digestive track. This little guy will be hungry again soon.

Finally, an art shot.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

4 comments:

Noemí Padrón said...

Sí señor...la última es obra de un artista :-), sí señor :-)...Buenas capturas...Éste al menos se alimenta solito :-)

Un abrazo

Noemí

Erica Houskeeper said...

Very nice! An interesting point about not creating stress for the bird while you are taking photos. Never thought about it that way!

Rebecca said...

Terrific series! Perfect timing too.

Dan Huber said...

Great shots Steve, and kudos for caring for the birds :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails