Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Anybody Afraid of Heights? Dinner in Austria.

As we were driving to Bregenz, Austria, our host pointed to a bluff on the side of a mountain and asked, “Is anyone afraid of heights? That’s were we are having dinner tonight.”
  ©2012 Steve Borichevsky

When I travel on business, I pack a point-and-shoot because it about business and not pleasure. A point-and-shoot can be discretely put into a pocket and a snap can be taken at any time. Like zipping down the road in a car. ©2012 Steve Borichevsky

One of the cars starting off to go to the top.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Self portrait.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Off we go. Mind you, I’m shooting through glass with a point-and-shoot. Please bear with me.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

The view through forest.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

A farmstead on the side of the mountain. Good thing I’m okay in gondola cars.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Almost there!

©2012 Steve Borichevsky©2012 Steve Borichevsky

The view from the top. You can see the Rhine Valley, Lake Constance and the Swiss Alps.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Yup, that’s me.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Our host knew that I was a bit of a wino and a foodie so he selected an Austrian wine that can only bought locally. This was mildly tannic, very young and fruit forward. Lots of cranberry and pomegranate notes. Trocken means dry which surprised me because the 12.5% alcohol usually means it going to be sweet. Not this. It was thoroughly enjoyable with my savory pork dish.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky©2012 Steve Borichevsky

The sun was setting as we finished dinner. Back down the mountain and off to bed. We’ve go a full day of meetings tomorrow.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

For more information, visit www.karren.at.

6 comments:

alp said...

Curiosas imagenes. Un saludo desde Murcia.

Sharon M said...

At first I misread the title of your post and then looked at the pictures and thought, "Wow, that doesn't look like Australia!" haha These are great pictures for a point and shoot through glass! What a great ride.

Merisi said...

So close and yet so far! ;-)

Gorgeous images, splendid views!
I have not been up there yet. I confess I am a little afraid of gondola rides (did you know that the new London cable car - the Emirates Line - was constructed by a company from Vorarlberg, the Doppelmayr Company?).

I have traveled to Vorarlberg in January and in May this year. What a beautiful region the Bregenzer Wald is, isn't it?

I hope you manage to get to see a few more sites during your stay. Safe travels!

Noemí Padrón said...

Te envidiooooooooooooooooo :-) Yo también quiero un trabajo así...La última captura a pesar de la botella .-) te quedó GENIAL...

Saluditos

Noemí

Carol Mattingly said...

You lucky guy. Have fun Steve. Carol

Merisi said...

A friend of mine is traveling from Zürich to Innsbruck tomorrow and I recommended this place to him (which I have actually visited since I last commented here). And suddenly I remembered you having been there. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails