Saturday, July 21, 2012

Saturday Night Creature Feature, Catching the Bandit taking a Bath

Early this morning, I took a drive out to Appleton Farms to see what what happening. The dew was evaporating off of the grass as the sun rose in the sky. I was setting up on this Female. I heard a Common Yellowthroat and saw him duck in a bush on my right, across the way. Then he flew across the trail in into a large brushy patch. I’ve been gunning for the bandit all spring and summer, with moderate success.

The one thing that I have learned in wildlife photography is that you cannot split your attention and you must take advantage of the subject that is willing to work with you.

So, let’s see…set the aperture, set the focus spot on the subject, check the shutter speed, mind the shadows, set exposure for the subject…yes Huston, all systems are GO! Expose the frame. Got it.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

What! A Yellowthroat 15 feet away????? Shoot! SHOOT! Damn the shutter speed! Damn the aperture! Damn the highlights!  SHOOOOOT!!!!!!

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

He’s taking a bath in the dew on the plants! Holy cow! SHOOOOOOOT!

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

KEEP SHOOTING! UZI MODE!

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

What’s the exposure? I don’t know! Just shoot!

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Where’s the focus spot? Who gives a damn!

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

In less than five seconds, I shot about 12 frames. I almost never, ever shoot Uzi mode but I knew that this bandit was not going to be hanging around. Now, where was I? Oh, that’s right, I’ve got this Slaty Skimmer in front of me.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

The one thing that I have learned in wildlife photography is that you cannot be too focused on what you are doing.

Visit Camera Critters for more photos from the animal kingdom.

7 comments:

Gemma Wiseman said...

O this is hysterical! I know the feeling of shooting fast and then checking it all later! These shots are simply brilliant!

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Wonderful post filled with so many truths. It has taken me years to learn what you've said here.

chubskulit said...

Beautifully captured! Have a great weekend.

My Loyal companion Pet, come and see.

bunnits said...

Great shots, Steve. Love the captions.

Dan Huber said...

Great photos Steve, and love the commentary, sounds familiar :)

Judy said...

LOL!! One reason why I prefer to capture plants! Your yellowthroat is bathing in an elderberry bush, if you want to know! Aren't you glad that we have digital now, rather than film!! Could you ever shoot in Uzi mode with film?

Judy said...

PS The slaty skimmer is beautiful, too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails