Saturday, July 14, 2012

Saturday Evening Creature Feature, Panted Skimmer

It was a hot day in Dogtown. I didn’t know which was heaver, the air or my camera pack. I was winding down my walk when I saw a flash of amber in the corner of my eye.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Since this was my first encounter with this bug, I took a couple of safety shots to make sure I didn’t miss capturing her. So many times I’ve come on a bird or a bug and by the time I got the shot line up, it would fly away.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

This dragon was a bit different. She had her favorite perch from which she was hunting.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

In times like these, I’ll sit and observe for a while.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Painted Skimmers are common in Eastern Massachusetts, so my guidebook says, but this is my first one.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

They are found in the Eastern US and are expanding up to Nova Scotia.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

She’s a good size dragon, about 1.75” long.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

This is what is so great about dragonflies…they are predators. Here she has returned to her perch with a snack.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

She was so tame that she allowed me to shoot her with my 18-55mm.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

At this time, I bid goodbye to the Painted Skimmer. I was hot and getting a bit dehydrated. Besides it was time for lunch. Like Napoleon's Army, I travel on my stomach.

Visit Camera Critters for more photos from the animal kingdom.

10 comments:

Roy said...

A lovely set of images Steve.
A very nicely marked species.

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Nicely done and the having lunch shot is specatular.

Sharon M said...

Wow, I've never been able to get that close.

Sharon M said...

Wow, I've never been able to get that close.

bailey-road.com said...

Wow! These are fabulous captures!

betty said...

Yellow enhances concentration. Maybe that is why you stayed so long. This Painted Skimmer is an attention getter and optimist. Beautiful photos. Aloha.

LifeRamblings said...

your photos are so wonderfully composed. excellent macro and clarity.

eileeninmd said...

Amazing shots of the skimmer. It is a pretty one.

Tina´s PicStory said...

amazing shots! :)

Frank said...

Superb images Steve showing the very distinctive markings on this Skimmer species.

Related Posts with Thumbnails