Saturday, July 7, 2012

Saturday Evening Creature Feature, Seaside Dragonlet

The Seaside Dragonlet is the only small dragonfly that can be found in saltwater habitats here.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Here is a male hunkered down in the saltmarsh grass.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

This female’s length is only 1.25 inches.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

It is unusual in that it breeds in salt water habitats. The females oviposite on mats of algae. Below is a male.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Seaside Dragonlets can be found along the eastern shore of the Unites States and along saline lakes in the southwestern U.S.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

I found these out on a salt water marsh here in Newburyport, Massachusetts.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

I specifically had in mind finding these and it wasn’t an easy photo shoot. The weather was hot and the constant breeze kept the dragons bobbing and weaving on their perches.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

All of these shots were taken hand-held with a wide aperture.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Amazingly, I couldn’t get close, but after being out on the marsh for an hour, they settled down and allowed me to start working with them.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

I wish I could say the same for this Saltmarsh Sharp-tailed Sparrow(?) that was always out of range.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky©2012 Steve Borichevsky

One last shot.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Visit Camera Critters for more photos from the animal kingdom.

6 comments:

betty said...

I though I had discovered something new when I moved to Japan. "Tambo" delighted me. You find them everywhere and capture them beautifully. It must be the nearnest to water/saltwater. Aloha.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Awesome shots of the dragonflies! I see you took them at Newburyport. New England is my favorite place to visit and I have been to Newburyport a couple of times.

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful dragonfly and awesome photos. Love the sparrow too. Have a Happy Sunday!

Danielle said...

Wonderful close ups!! Curious what type of lens you used.

bailey-road.com said...

Lovely captures of the dragonflies!

Misty DawnS said...

Awesome!!! I love dragonflies, and these photos (and the information) are spectacular!

Related Posts with Thumbnails