Thursday, July 12, 2012

Plum Island Purple Martins

When I went up to Plum Island to shoot the Plum Island Light, I took some time to enjoy the Purple Martins.

Female Purple Martin

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

East of the Rocky Mountains, Purple Martins are totally dependent on human provided nest boxes. In  the Pacific North West, the martins are still using natural nest sites. There is a wonderful write-up about Purple Martins at the Purple Martin Conservation Association. I encourage you to check it out.

3 comments:

Carol Mattingly said...

Your Purple Martins are beautiful Steve. I love the birds on the wire image. Carol

Frank said...

Thanks for the insight and link Steve to these beautiful birds. Now I fully understand "behavioral tradition shift."

Roy said...

Thanks Steve I will check that out.
Lovely bird.

Related Posts with Thumbnails