Friday, July 6, 2012

Plaza Mayor de Madrid

Just a short walk from our hotel in Madrid, a couple of blocks from Puerta del Sol (which I showed you yesterday) is Plaza Mayor. This is a fun stop frequented by tourist and locals. Becky and I sat down and had a pleasant lunch of ración Ibérico. A ración is a mid sized plate, kind of a light meal or substantial snack. The Ibérico refers to the region’s ham products, which I’ll discuss in a post at a later date.
  ©2012 Steve Borichevsky

The plaza is a is surrounded by four buildings forming a square. There is a rich history to this plaza to which I’ll refer you to other sources.

In the center of the plaza is a statue of of Filipe III on horseback sculpted in 1616 by Giambologna.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky©2012 Steve Borichevsky

The left tower sports a clock.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

I didn’t realize it until I got home, but the tower on the right has a barometer. Starting at 74 and going counter clockwise; “very dry”, “good weather”, “variable”, “rain”, and I can only presume that GM LLUVIA must mean “cats-and-dogs”.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

P.S. Thanks to B for pointing out that this section of the Plaza Mayor is known as the Casa de la Panadería.

6 comments:

The Write Girl said...

The plaza mayor de madrid is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing and Happy Sky Watch!

Rebecca said...

I love the architecture over there. And that they don't tear it down to build something new every decade.

Taster B said...

I guess those bakers needed to know the humidity level:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_de_la_Panader%C3%ADa

HoodPhoto said...

Amazing sky! Happy Friday! I enjoyed my first full week back blogging after the birth of my son. If you haven't already done so, please stop by my blog to say hello and
"Like" Hood Photography on Facebook! Thanks!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Wow, rich in history and a photographers delight! Nice post.

Carol Mattingly said...

Gorgeous images and architecture. Carol

Related Posts with Thumbnails