Sunday, July 8, 2012

Eine Kleine Nactpost, Dot-tailed Whiteface

It is summer and I’m getting behind on my photos. There are lots of different things to shoot and with the trip to Spain, I have an abundance of material.

Here is a dragon that I’ve been gunning after for several years. It seems that I can never get close enough to get a decent photo. They seem to be pretty skittish. And at 1.25 inches, you have to get on top of them. On June 17th, I found one that would put up with my presence.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

I found him in a meadow near a marsh. He had found a patch of grass that a deer matted down for a bed.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

The bed was about 5 feet in diameter and that was his domain.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

Lucky for me he wasn’t going to move off it, so I was able to come to an understanding with him and we got some shots.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

He had some favorite perches so I was able to set up the tripod. He liked to stay low to the ground which made it impossible to get an artistic background. But that is all part of the experience. Perhaps you will see one of these and notice the dot on the tail and the white face and remember what it is!

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

In Massachusetts, the Dot-tailed Whiteface will be flying around from May through July.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Very nice macro!

Frank said...

Well Steve, that's definitely one species I haven't seen images of before. Very nicely captured.

Related Posts with Thumbnails